This list of free software can help you provide guests with useful programs at no cost to the hostel. Most of the programs will run on Linux. Ubuntu Linux makes a great alternative to Windows if you want to avoid many of the hassles of Windows (like viruses and spyware).
Free Office Software
- OpenOffice.org - Free office software that is compatible with Microsoft Office. Includes word processor, spreadsheet, presentation, and database software.
Free Photo Editing Software
- The GIMP (Windows, Mac, Linux) - Free photo editing software that lets guests edit and resize their digital photos so that they can email them to friends and family.
- Paint.net (Windows only) - Free photo editing software.
Free Chat Software
- Pidgin (Windows, Linux) - Free instant messenger program that works with all the major instant messaging services, including Yahoo Messenger, MSN Messenger, AIM, Google Talk, ICQ, Jabber, MySpace IM, IRC, and many more.
- Adium (Mac OS/X) - Free instant messenger program that works with the major instant messaging services.
Free Internet Phone Software
- Skype - Free program to make Internet telephone calls.
- PDF Creator - Create PDF files.
- Foxit - PDF reader that uses less computer memory than Adobe Reader.
- Thunderbird - Free email client that can replace Microsoft Outlook and Outlook Express.
- Sunbird & Lightning - A free Thunderbird plugin that adds a calendar and task software to Thunderbird. It integrates with Web calendars (iCalendar, etc.)
- Remember the Milk - Free online to-do list software that integrates with Lightning calendar (above).
- Firefox - Free Web browser that is more secure than Internet Explorer.
- 7 Zip - Compress and uncompress archived files like .zip and .rar files.
Front Desk Software
- Loventis Booking System - Free Hostel Management System.
See also these other lists of free software: