Residency Laws

From Hostel Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Some regions may have laws that give tenants residency rights if they stay for longer than a certain period of time. That reduces a hostel's right to evict them if necessary.

Please view these posts for more information.

Sample Residency Laws from California, USA

For example, these are some residency laws from California, USA:

If you are a resident in a hotel or motel, you do not have the rights of a tenant in any of the following situations:

  1. You live in a hotel, motel, residence club, or other lodging facility for 30 days or less, and your occupancy is subject to the state's hotel occupancy tax.
  2. You live in a hotel, motel, residence club, or other lodging facility for more than 30 days, but have not paid for all room and related charges owing by the thirtieth day.
  3. You live in a hotel or motel to which the manager has a right of access and control, and all of the following is true:
    • The hotel or motel allows occupancy for periods of fewer than seven days.
    • All of the following services are provided for all residents:
      • a fireproof safe for residents' use;
      • a central telephone service;
      • maid, mail, and room service; and
      • food service provided by a food establishment that is on or next to the hotel or motel grounds and that is operated in conjunction with the hotel or motel.

If you live in a unit described by either 1, 2 or 3 above, you are not a tenant; you are a guest. Therefore, you don't have the same rights as a tenant.4 For example, the proprietor of a hotel can "lock out" a guest who doesn't pay his or her room charges on time, while a landlord would have to begin formal eviction proceedings to evict a nonpaying tenant.